A Writing Life: My Guilty Pleasure Apps

Monday, April 10, 2017

My Guilty Pleasure Apps

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know how any writer can't be a rabid reader. Not to place judgment, I simply can't wrap my head around always putting words on a page without soaking in words written by others via reading. 

The following are my favorite guilty pleasure apps that feed the reader in me, as well as the student. I LOVE to learn new things, as well as learn more about something I already know (such as writing). 


Bloglovin
As much as I love writing novels, writing blogs gives my non-fiction brain something to do. However, I love to read blogs almost more than I love writing them. This app organizes all my favorites. About once a week or so I'll sit down and scroll through, not unlike I would flip through a magazine and read the articles. 
Favorites: 
Shelly Miller
Kristen Lamb's Blog 
Emily P. Freeman
A Write Smart



Podcasts
I know this isn't about reading, but podcasts are my new obsession. Sometimes my eyes get tired and it's nice to sit and relax while listening. I'm also in my car a lot and have found that podcasts help pass the time while I glean great information, whether on writing or life or sports. I love it. My boys and I are addicted to Mike Rowe's podcast, soaking it in like a sponge every time we do the 45 minute drive to Trap Shooting practice. 
Favorites: 
Mike Rowe
The EntreLeadership Podcast
Quiet: The Power of Introverts with Susan Cain
Happier with Gretchen Rubin



Litsy
I saved the best for last. Truly. I'm addicted to this app. It's Goodreads meets Instagram. With posts that have pictures of books along with reviews and ways to create a book stack based on recommendations, it's every reader's nirvana. 
And it's a lovely community of readers as well. I chat with people about books, books, and more books. It's wonderful. 
As a writer, I believe there are places to try and sell my wares. And I can definitely talk about my books there. But mostly, it's a place for readers, (which I appreciate) not an author chat room (which absolutely have their place in the world).

What are some of your favorite places to hang out and talk books or soak in book recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment