A Writing Life: Get Your Move On

Monday, March 20, 2017

Get Your Move On

Writing is a solitary business. Or it can be, most of the time. As well as sedentary. All those hours in front of a screen, butt in the chair, are good for the word count and added pages, but not for the body. Or the mind.

I started going to CrossFit four years ago. A dear friend of mine dragged me in saying I could totally do it. (She's a trainer and awesome and I'm...well, not.) But I did it anyway.

And it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Not only does it get me out of my chair and get me moving - really moving - but it's an hour of concentrated time that I'm not thinking about anything but the WOD (Workout of the Day). It's tough and each class is a challenge, but every single time I walk away feeling better physically, mentally, and emotionally.


Here's what I get out of it:

1) Health and Strength - Obvious, but true. What I have found at CrossFit is that it's not about the scale. In fact, I hate the scale. I don't go by it anymore. I go by how my clothes fit or if I need a more definitive gage, I use measurements. But I know for a fact I am healthier and stronger than I was four years ago. And I'm 44 years-old here, people. It's not just a place for the youngin's.


2) Friendship - At CrossFit, I have found my people. I've never been called tiny. As my good friend says, "I'm not built for speed, but I can lift shit." That's all me. I played volleyball and basketball in high school and I was always put in positions where power was important. No one at my gym is trying to get skinny. We all share the same goal - health and strength. Longevity. The best we can be as individuals. There is healthy competition, but always, always encouragement. Always.


3) Spiritual - Yes. I said spiritual. Many times I have found myself mid-WOD praying for my family, my friends, whatever is stressing me, and ultimately that Jesus would allow me to finish the WOD without dying. Or puking. I guess for me, it's a form of meditation. Not a quiet or mellow form of meditation, but I am not quiet or mellow so it works.


I will say this - a disclaimer of sorts. CrossFit isn't for everyone and not all CrossFit gyms are good. That's just the sad truth. If you decide to try it, check out a few different ones and MAKE SURE the coaches there are certified and have your best health and interest at heart. Injury isn't necessary to be strong and healthy.

Find what works for YOU and then do it. Walking, Yoga, Pilates, Boot Camp, Running, Biking...there are countless choices. Just get your move on. I guarantee your writing life will thank you for it. 

2 comments: