A Writing Life: It's Time To Put On Big Girl Pants

Monday, February 6, 2017

It's Time To Put On Big Girl Pants

I met with my critique partner recently. I adore this person. She is not only the one who reads everything I write and honestly tells me what to change and what to keep, she is a heart friend and someone I lean on. A lot. She's talked me off ledge after ledge after ledge.

Our most recent discussion centered around how easy it is to get frustrated as a writer. I've blogged before about that fine balance between being creative and then having to be a business. If you want to be a published author, the business side is going to be something you have to deal with whether you like it or not.

I'm in the "or not" category. 




I want to write. I want to create. I don't want to have to worry about marketing and sales and reviews, etc. But it's part of the deal. We talked about how grateful we are to do what we love, but that in some ways, we've seen behind the curtain in Oz and it's not all we thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of wonderful things in the Oz land of publishing. The golden paved roads and bright colors. The friends you meet along the way who sing with you and carry you through. But the wizard isn't all I imagined.


I have had to work hard to find that balance between creative and business. How much of each receives my time in a day. How often I let my mental armies focus on one or the other. And it pains me to admit it, but I get a bit whiny when I have to deal with the business side. I fuss and text my critique partner who commiserates with me and then we move on.

But that's the key. We put our big girl pants on and move on.

I don't always want to. But I need to. Plow through the business and move on to the fun stuff. The writing. Which is really why we are here, right?

What part of the business side of writing do you struggle with the most?

1 comment:

  1. the business side, and giving myself permission to have writing time

    denise

    ReplyDelete