A Writing Life: A New Normal

Monday, October 24, 2016

A New Normal

I think it's possible I started writing in the womb. Because writing is how I have always processed the world around me. It's how I think things through. How I work through feelings or emotions. How I document events and milestones. My husband is a numbers guy. He says he has numbers in his head all the time.

Not me. I always have words flowing through my head.




I think I've mentioned this before, but my oldest child left for college about six weeks ago. I call her The Girl Child. We went to visit her last weekend for the first time since she left. The Hubby, Thing 1 and Thing 2 and I rode a few small planes to get to her (not my favorite but I've made my peace with it) and had a fantastic visit.

It wasn't without it's moments of adjustment, but we did fine. Because she is finding a new normal just as much as we are. 

I'm currently working on the first book in a new four book series. I have my deadlines set up and my writing sessions planned out. I stress here and there, but for the most part, I'm enjoying my days. I'm adjusting to my new normal. There's a bit less on my plate with one less child in the house, but overall, I like the pace.



But I can see that everything I'm experiencing goes into my writing. Emotions, realizations, everything. And I think that's how it's always been for me. Writing fiction or not, who we are and the experiences that shape us - I can't imagine how they wouldn't end up in our writing somehow.

Change is tough for me. It always has been. But I am grateful I have writing. Journaling, blogging, working on a book. It doesn't matter. The written word is healing. And with each change, it helps me find my new normal.

This is The Girl Child's favorite spot in the library at school. I would have to agree with her. It makes me think of Narnia. Oh, the stories to be written while looking out that window...

2 comments: