A Writing Life: Letting Go

Friday, August 19, 2016

Letting Go

I took my first golf lesson a few days ago. I tried to get into the sport years ago, but the kids were small and it was just too tough to get to the course to practice. And golf takes lots of practice. With the boys now sixteen and both wanting to play, along with a husband who is a fantastic golfer, I figured it was time to get back out there and give it another go.


My lesson went well. The young woman pro who teaches was precious. So sweet and patient with me. I have a grasp of the basics of a golf swing, but nothing to write home about. She watched me hit a few then made some suggestions.

In a nutshell, I'm tense and trying to control my swing too much.

Hmmm, that resonated with me on more levels that just golf.

My fifth book released last week and as cool as that is, as grateful as I am for my writing journey, I still tense up, stress, and try to control everything. I tell myself to not check for new reviews every hour, but I still find myself on the computer or my phone scouring for them. I bat away that voice in the back of my head that says I need to be on social media ALL DAY or I'll lose followers and readers. People have lives. They're not on it all day. Well, maybe some. But a precious few.


Instead of relaxing and letting the golf club do it's thing, I hold tight and swing hard thinking that's what will make my shot rocket down the fairway. In my writing life, I obsess over every detail and marketing report and number until I give myself a headache. Not good. Not good at all.

As I released my vice grip on my golf club and relaxed my swing, the ball went right where I wanted it to and had distance. Hmmmm, go figure.


Maybe if I relax my grip on trying to control everything in my writing life, the sales will come, and everything will move forward as it should. A nice bonus to me being relaxed is that my creativity flourishes. I get character ideas, story scenes, all kinds of good stuff. Because my brain isn't mucked up with all the business stuff I can't control.

No comments:

Post a Comment