A Writing Life: Why I Write Romance

Monday, July 11, 2016

Why I Write Romance

I've learned that when people ask me what I write and I say romance novels I either get a goofy grin in response or a "that's nice." 

It IS nice. But to be honest, I don't give much thought to the responses. I used to. But not anymore. 

Because I write for me. I write because I love these stories in my head and putting them on paper is so much fun. 


I write romances because I believe that now, more than ever, we need stories with a happy ending. 

I have a journalism degree. I love writing fiction, but I still do enjoy reading news, articles, etc. And I was thinking the other day about how careful I have to be about how much of it I read. There are just so many sad, awful stories out there. 

I think it has programmed us to look for the bad, even expect it. 

I know it's made me cynical and downright sad. 

But the truth is there are happily ever after's out there. Lots of them. And not just in books. Look around. Listen to people's stories. Block out the bad news, seek the good. It's there. 


Writing romance is awesome because I get to write stories full of hope. And I think our world could use a huge dose of hope right now, don't you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment