A Writing Life: Great Books On Writing

Monday, May 9, 2016

Great Books On Writing

One of my favorite quotes ever is by Stephen King and it is this:
"I am always chilled and astonished by the would-be-writers who ask me for advice but admit, quite blithely, that they 'don't have time to read.' This is like a guy starting up Mount Everest saying he didn't have time to buy any rope or pitons."

I read. A lot. I have multiple books going at a time. Some writers say they can't read in their genre while writing a book. It's too distracting. Me? I have to be reading a book in my genre while I'm writing because then that's where my head will be. In my genre. But I also like to have multiple non-fiction books going at once as well. They're mostly on writing, health, spirituality or parenting.

Recently, I've had a desire - maybe even more of a need - to get back to studying the craft of writing. I don't believe there's every really a finish line. You can become a good writer, yes, and maybe even a great one, but there is always, always something more to learn.

The following are books on writing I have read and re-read over the years. I hope you enjoy as well...

1) On Writing by Stephen King



2) Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott



3) The Getaway Car by Ann Patchett



4) For Writers Only by Sophy Burnham



5) Rivet Your Readers With Deep Point Of View by Jill Elizabeth Nelson




6) GMC: Goal, Motivation & Conflict by Debra Dixon



7) The Everything Guide to Writing A Romance Novel by Christie Craig and Faye Hughes




8) Writing Down The Bones by Natalie Goldberg



9) The Right To Write by Julia Cameron



10) The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

Product Details


No comments:

Post a Comment