A Writing Life: Puzzles

Monday, March 28, 2016

Puzzles

I have a confession to make. I love puzzles. It's true. I'm a puzzle nerd. I turn on my favorite music and tune into the pieces in front of me. 
I blog a lot about how the writing life takes actual living. If I sat in front of a screen 24/7 I would lack things to write about. I have a vivid imagination but let's face it, that can only take a person so far. 

Last week was Spring Break which means my kids were home all week. I take time off then to be with them as much as possible. I'm not in front of a computer screen all day and I had time to work on puzzles. 

And a funny thing happened. Story ideas and character sketches flowed like honey. 

There's something about letting my mind wander a bit as I search puzzle pieces that frees me up to actually be creative. The act of writing is creative, of course, but if I do that all day every day, my writing will get stale. 

I don't like stale. So I head to my puzzle table. What things do you enjoy that spark your creativity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment