A Writing Life: It Doesn't Get Easier

Saturday, October 31, 2015

It Doesn't Get Easier



When I first started writing novels, I imagined I would get to the release day of a book and just sit back, relax, and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Oh, how naive of me.

The third book in my Men of Honor series (Rescue Me), releases November 3rd. You would think by now I'd be calm and cool, totally used to this experience. Nope. Not so much. I'm still just as excited, nervous, terrified, and anxious as I was when I released my first book. It's scary to take something I've worked on for so long, put time and energy and emotion into, and release it out into the world.

I'm a character driving reader and writer. You can tell me a good story, but if I don't care about the people in the story, I'm out. I think that's where my angst comes from in releasing a book. I spend lots and lots of time with these characters before I write them and as I write them. They become friends. People I know well. And I want readers to like them as well. I want readers to have all the feels I do about these characters and their story.

But even with all the nerves, I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. I love writing. I do. I can handle the stress, the worry, the what ifs. Because I'm wired to do this. I have scenes and stories in my head that if I didn't get out on the page would drive me crazy. Literally. I'm a hot mess when I'm not writing. All the anxiety of a book release is just part of the deal. And I'll take it.

I imagine by my 20th book, this will be old hat. Release day will be just another day.

Oh, how naive of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment