A Writing Life: Comparing

Monday, October 19, 2015

Comparing


I have always loved this quote. But it's easier said than done to not look in other yards and think the grass is greener. 

As much as I like social media and how it helps authors like me reach out to readers, it's also where I can peek into other author's yards and think mine will never be as plush and perfect as theirs. Full of thousands of words written per day, gazillions of follwers, and book sales beyond the ability to count.

Don't get me wrong. I don't begrudge them success. At all. I am a fan of many of them and am happy to know they have another book coming out or that they won an award. I applaud whole-heartedly. 

But if I focus too much on what is happening in their yard, I miss all the flowers blooming in mine. Comparison really can be the death of joy. When I daily think of all I'm grateful for, in life as well as my career, my spirit is joyful. I have much to be thankful for. 

And no two journeys are the same. I am somewhat in the beginning of my publishing journey. Others have worked many years to be where they are. They deserve every blade of plush grass in their yard. They've paid blood, sweat and tears for it. I'm just in a different point on the writing path. And I can learn from them. What has worked, what hasn't. Be willing to admit I don't know it all, nor will I ever. Be humble.

So today I will look at my own To Do list, my own hurdles ahead as well as those that have been conquered. There is much to be thankful for and much to be done. Kudos to others on their journey. I applaud them, learn from them. And embrace that diversity of our yards. They're all beautiful, just different. And that's a good thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment