A Writing Life: Writing and Road Trips

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Writing and Road Trips



I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I've been writing novels for about ten years. 

For me, writing a novel is like taking a long road trip with characters as my travel companions. I plug along putting some miles, or word count/pages, behind me. I stop at times along the way and chat with people. Explore, take in surroundings, then move forward inspired by what I've seen and heard. The plot is my road map. Sometimes the characters drive and I change course, but I drive (write) again. Along the way I stop and think about the miles behind (edit) but the destination is always in my sights. 

The feelings I have when I reach my destination (finished novel) always varies because every trip is different. 

I just finished the manuscript for Rescue Me, the third book in my Men of Honor series. To be honest, I don't really recall how I felt when I finished Remember Me (book one). Unfortunately, that was a road trip with so many twists and turns and bumps in the road I think I was just relieved when it was over. 

When I finished Get To Me (book two), I was sad. I loved those characters so much - loved writing them. I was bummed our road trip together was over. 

In finishing Rescue Me (book three) I was not only at the end of one book's jouney but all three. I finished a series. I've never done that before. Honestly? It felt pretty awesome. And I liked these characters a lot. I enjoy their story even more. Where the first two had more suspense, this one feels like a deeper love story. 

Like any adventurous road trip, I'm a tad bummed these three are over. But I look forward to the next one. Where will it take me? Who will I meet? What will inspire me. Writing is never boring, that's for sure. 

The adventure is in the journey, not the destination. I believe I'm ready to grab the keys and jump back in the car...


No comments:

Post a Comment